NRO logo

Getting Financial Assistance

If you have made the decision to terminate your pregnancy and have spoken with a clinic, and are now seeking financial assistance, here are some things you can do even before you call the Hotline. You are always welcome to call us to answer questions, but we hope this information will make the process easier for you and reduce the number of phone calls you may have to make.

Financial Assistance from NRO

NRO’s Women in Need Fund (WIN) provides financial assistance for abortions and related expenses.  The fund is for Oregon residents – for women who are ineligible for or have been denied coverage by the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) or who are not covered by private insurance. If you live in a neighboring state and are coming to Oregon for your procedure, or if you have extenuating circumstances, you may be eligible. If you are a resident of Washington, Idaho or Alaska you may want to contact our sister fund, The CAIR Project

If you don’t have private insurance and you are not on OHP, please apply to OHP before you request funds from NRO. 

Please apply to OHP before you request funds from NRO if you don’t have private insurance.

OHP will cover all your abortion-related expenses. If you encounter problems with the OHP process you are welcome to call our Hotline. We cannot advocate on your behalf or change anything in that process. If your application is not being handled in a timely way and you are getting close to 12 weeks of pregnancy, or you are about to be too far along to get an abortion at all, we may be able to help you with immediate funding.  We won’t be able to pay for all your expenses, but we will work with you to help get you the resources you need.

Private Insurance

If you have private insurance, check with your company to see if they cover abortion services.  Most clinics will be happy to check with your insurance company when you make an appointment with them. If you are worried about using your insurance because of privacy issues, you may request that the insurance company not send any statements to your home.  Keep in mind they may notify your employer when the employer funds the insurance plan.

The Oregon Health Plan

If you are on the Oregon Health Plan (OHP), it will pay for your abortion. Most clinics accept OHP, but check when you make your appointment.

If you are pregnant but not currently covered under OHP, you should apply for the “OHP Plus” option (not the OHP Standard package).

You can find information about the application and learn about other public assistance programs you may be eligible for at Oregon Helps. The pre-screening process at that website will walk you through some questions about you and your household to help determine eligibility.

Documentation you will need
  • Proof of income
  • Proof of residence
  • Proof of pregnancy - You can get this from the County Health Department, a local Planned Parenthood affiliate or your own doctor.  Be careful of places that offer ‘free pregnancy tests’;  they are often set up to deter women from seeking abortions and sometimes offer you proof of pregnancy but make you wait 8 weeks to receive it.
  • Proof of citizenship - If you were born in Oregon,  you don’t need to bring this; DHS can look it up in the state database.  If you were not born in Oregon, you will need a copy of your birth certificate or passport.
  • If you are a student, bring a copy of your student aid report.

Tips many women have found helpful in applying

Apply in person – Case managers have the ability to expedite applications for pregnant women; DHS policy states that pregnant women’s applications should be processed for eligibility in one business day. 

Bring all your documentation with you and ask to speak to a case manager – Don’t just drop off an application.  Have them date-stamp it and make an appointment with a case manager. If you go to the office in the morning they can usually see you that same day.

Ask if there is an Oregon MothersCare staff person in the office – In counties with this program, the OMC case worker’s job is to expedite your application and get you through the process quickly!

Be sure to let people in the DHS office know that you are pregnant – You do not need to tell anyone except your case manager that you are planning to terminate.  In fact, we recommend that you not tell reception staff of your intentions, but you do need to tell them that you are seeking assistance because you are pregnant. If you suspect that your case manager disagrees with your plan to terminate and is interfering with your application process, ask to be assigned a new case manager.

Advocate for yourself – If you are eligible for OHP you have an absolute right to decide what to do with your pregnancy. Do not be intimidated by anyone who may disagree with your decision. You are making the right decision for yourself and your family and you deserve to be supported in your decision.